Steps involved when obtaining a marriage license:
- Both parties (Bride and Groom to be) must come into the Clerk’s Office together and fill out an information sheet.
- They must verify their identity with a valid driver’s license, DMV photo ID, or a valid Passport.
- The applicants are given an Oath confirming the information given is truthful and accurate.
- The information is then entered into the computer.
- The marriage license is printed.
- Copies A & B are given to the applicants to take to the Minister to fill out, sign, and return to the Clerk’s Office within 5 days after the marriage. Copy C is signed by the applicants and kept by the Clerk.
- The cost for the marriage license is $30.00.
Certified copies of a Marriage License:
- You must send a letter requesting a copy with both the bride and groom’s name and the date of marriage.
- The cost for each certified copy is $3.00. A check or money order must accompany the written request, along with a self addressed stamped envelope.
- Make checks/money orders payable to: Clerk of Circuit Court
- We process your request the same day we receive it.
- You may also come into the office and request a certified copy.
Circuit Court of Giles County
P.O. Box 502
Pearisburg, VA 24134
- The marriage license is good for 60 days. If the applicants are not married within this time period, the license is null and void. All fees paid are non refundable. The applicants must re-apply.
- If one of the applicants is under 18 years of age, both parents of that person must be present during the application process. The minor must bring with them their original birth certificate and their valid driver’s license/ DMV photo ID or valid passport.
- Marriage licenses are issued from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
Back to Clerk Home