We are fortunate to have the beautiful and stately Giles County Courthouse as one of the buildings that is still in use in downtown Pearisburg.
In May 2005, the Giles County Board of Supervisors contracted with Thor, Inc. of Roanoke Virginia for renovations to the Giles County Courthouse located at the corner of Wenonah Avenue and Main Street in Pearisburg.
The renovations are complete. The original plans for the renovation began as updates for the electrical and heating systems as well as to bring the courthouse into ADA compliance. The scope of the project grew during the planning stages and now encompasses renovations to first and second floor and exterior renovations including an elevator unit for access to the court room facility. The plans also call for holding cells for inmates awaiting trial to be placed on the second floor of the courthouse building. The architectural firm HDH and Associates of Christiansburg, Virginia who drew the plans for the renovation project worked with the Department of Historic Resources for their review approval before contracts were awarded.
The current Giles County Courthouse located at the corner of Wenonah Avenue and Main Street in Pearisburg was built in 1836. The Giles County Courthouse was placed on the Department of Historic Resources register on the Virginia Landmark Registry on July 20, 1982 and on the National Registry of Historic Places on September 9, 1982.