The New River is regarded as one of the top smallmouth rivers in the country and one of the best overall fishing rivers in Virginia. It supports outstanding populations of just about every major freshwater game fish in the state: smallmouth bass, spotted bass, largemouth bass, rock bass, striped bass, white bass, hybrid striped bass, muskellunge, walleye, black crappie, channel catfish, flathead catfish, yellow perch, redbreast sunfish, and bluegill.
Current state records that have been caught in the New River include muskellunge (45 lbs. 8 oz.), smallmouth bass (8 lbs. 1 oz.), hybrid striped bass (13 lbs.), and walleye (15 lbs. 15 oz.). Because of trophy catch and release regulations set forth by the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, the river has the potential to yield many more record-setting catches in the future.
Popular artificial lures are top-water crank-baits, spinner baits, minnows, or crawfish. Fast water and big rocks are features of the New River, making it a perfect home for big smallmouth bass and flathead catfish. Anybody can pull their canoe up on an island and fish with jigs or spinner baits to hook some fine trophies.
The New River also has several lazy, slow stretches where fisherman can view the spectacular scenery and still have luck fishing for rock bass near grass beds. The slow waters near dams along the river house big flathead and channel catfish as well as walleye and smallmouth bass when fished with live bate. All sections of the river have populations of flathead and channel catfish.
Good areas to fish for catfish include Narrows, Pearisburg, and Eggleston in Giles County along with other surrounding areas.
Check with the local businesses and the County Treasures Office to purchase a fishing license.
Record Fish Caught in the Giles County
- Smallmouth Bass | 8 lbs. 1 oz. | 03-12-2003
New River | Donald S. Eaton, Jr.
- Hybrid Striped Bass | 13 lbs. | 05-13-2009
New River | Robert Rakes
- Walleye | 15 lbs. 15 oz. | 12-15-2000
New River | Anthony P. Duncan
- Brook Trout | 5 lbs. 10 oz. | 10-22-1987
Big Stony Creek | Greg Orndorff
- Muskie (including Tiger) | 45 lbs. 8 oz. | 06-01-2007
New River | Shannon Hill
- Creeks, Streams and Ponds:
- Big and Little Stoney Creek - Premier trout fishing streams
- Newport Trout Farm - Farm trout fishing
- Johns Creek - Trout fishing
- Narrows Town Farm Park - Farm trout fishing
- The Falls at Dismal Creek - Stock trout fishing
- Wolf Creek - Smallmouth bass, blue gill, redeye