Daniel Shumate and Milly Callison with their three sons settled Rich Creek and built their first log home in 1780. Later in 1787 Daniel received a land grant for 387 acres and built his second log home near a large spring knoll overlooking the river.
The people of Rich Creek came to know this home as Riverside, home of the Hardin Shumates until 1981 when it was sold to Emory and Louise Eaton. However, white settlers came across Rich Creek back in 1671 when the Batt and Fallam expedition came to a halt when Indian guides refused to go any further. They burned their initials in a tree and claimed the territory for King Charles II of England.
The early settlers in Rich Creek were Scotch, Irish, Germans, and Englishmen. They brought a horse or two, a cow, a long rifle, and a dog. Their main tool was the axe, which they used to cut down trees and the like. Christian Peters established one of the earliest mills of the area on the banks of Rich Creek.
Rich Creek steadily grew into a lovely little town. In 1882, the North and West came to Lurich, which could be reached by ferry or horse, and provided an outlet to Mercer County, West Virginia. About twenty years later the Virginian Railroad came through. Then the 1920s brought Farmers And Merchants Bank and electric lights. In 1930, a modern four-room school with a library was built which taught seven grades.
The population began to grow in the 1940s with the coming of Celco, and in 1946 the town was incorporated. Growth continued and in 1954 a Municipal Hall was built. At this time the main street was Virginia Avenue. Rich Creek lost the Virginian Railroad when Route 460 was four-laned.
The 1970s brought Elmac Incorporated, the Commonwealth Bolt, and a Health Center. A Foodland, Tastee Freeze, Delicatessen, Beauty Shops, and Restaurants came to town. Today the people are proud of Woodland Park and Cemetery. Rich Creek provides a gateway to many delightful towns in West Virginia.